While Facebook’s “Graph Search” will give users the ability to easily find anything they’ve ever shared on Facebook, this feature also introduces new privacy and security concerns.
For example, what about those pics you shared with a small group of friends years ago, the pics that weren’t intended for anyone except a few select people? Are you certain that those pics are still private?
Also, what’s the risk of a malicious individual exploiting Facebook search to launch social engineering (phishing) attacks against unsuspecting users?
With this in mind, maybe it’s a good idea to update your Facebook security and privacy settings.
Here’s my short list of recommended settings. Your mileage may vary, but I think this is an excellent place to start. Be safe out there!
- Secure Browsing – Set to enabled
- Who can see your future posts? – Friends
- Limit the audience for posts you’ve shared with friends of friends or public? – Limit Past Posts
- Who can look you up using the email address or phone number you provided? – Friends
- Who can look up your timeline by name? – Friends
- Do you want other search engines to link to your timeline? – Off
- Who can post to your timeline? – Friends
- Review posts friends tag you in before they appear on your timeline? – Enabled
- Who can see posts you’ve been tagged in on your timeline? – Friends
- Who can see what others post on your timeline? – Friends
- When you’re tagged in a post, who do you want to add to the audience if they aren’t already in it? – Friends
- Who sees tag suggestions when photos that look like you are uploaded? – Friends
- Remove any old/inactive mobile devices.
- If you don’t dual-post your Facebook status to Twitter, and if you never post Public updates, uncheck the Turn On Follow box.
- Remove all apps that you don’t use anymore. ALL of them.
- Apps others use. – Uncheck EVERY box.
- Old versions of Facebook for Mobile. – Friends
- Third Party Sites – Show my information to no one
- Ads and Friends – Pair my social actions with ads for no one
- Remove any stored payment methods